|From "Humeston 125 Years 1872-1997" Quasquicentennial Book
The city of Humeston was platted in 1872 and incorporated in 1881 with 302 inhabitants. The Fire Department was formed
on April 25, 1891 under the direction of Dr. H.H. Gantz, Fire Chief.
A special election was held in 1895 to consider issuing $2,500 in bonds to purchase a lot and build a town hall, jail and fire
station. The propositon passed and construction was completed the next year. The architect was Dr. H.H. Gantz.
On May 19, 1903, a fire believed to have been started by lightning completely destroyed the Humeston Normal College.
Humeston's big blaze of 1908 saw a loss of $25,000 worth of property, with only $15,000 covered by insurance. It was
considered the most expensive fire to date in the town's history.
In 1915, the new city waterworks equipment got its first workout by Fire Chief J.L. Yates and crew, on a roof fire at the John
In 1948, a new siren was put atop the town hall. It was much larger than the old one and would be more easily heard as a fire
alarm at night. The siren was used for tornadoes and other emergencies until 2015 when a newer siren was purchased.
The present fire station was built from money raised during the 1972 Humeston Centennial.
|Paul Beck residence, 1976
|Watermelon Day Parade, 1980